Before my son was diagnosed with severe peanut allergy, I was into all natural things and trends, like she butter, argan oil, clay etc(and food as well) but now I think, all 100% natural is sometimes not the best thing. I find it hard to cope with my son's peanut, kiwi allergy already, and I really feel for those who with multiple allergy. It is very hard to find things you can eat if you look for gulten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, and nut-free. Then being natural is not on the highest priority, safety comes before that. And the safety is only guaranteed by being totally allergen-free. For example, when I see cosmetic products, and "sweet almond oil" "shea butter" "argan oil" are used in a lot of them, but now I see it this way; a lot of nut allergy sufferers would have to avoid them...(maybe all of them , most of them or just one of them it depends on what you are allergic to). Finding the best thing for you and your family is the best, and better not to push it onto others.
Easter Sunday - Our son really doesn't eat much chocolate, well, we don't give him much, so I am not fussed about finding peanut/nut free chocolate. And just recovering from the big relocation made me a bit off all Easter thing. So it was last minute decision, we bought a tiny mould and Milky Bar(just because we know that is definitely peanut free and cheap!). Well, we should do it properly next year.
I uploaded a new necklace: Dainty Satellite Necklace I normally prefer natural stones but I am so attracted to this "Lab Created" opal! They are basically made in lab, but it seems different from just "synthetic". They first make the same circumstance as natural one then create the stone there. And the colour and pattern created on the stone are so pretty. Love them! So I put 3 of them on 1mm 14k chain. Dainty, pretty, classy! *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
My blog turned to some kind of allergy awareness thing but I am working on my shop too! I now ship from the UK, via Royal Mail, and converted price EUR to GBP, and since I got my other half of stock back, I am getting ready to upload more items. And editing photos...
We went to register at GP the other day, then got prescribed our son's EpiPens. We already have 2 from Spain but just to see how things work, we asked the doctor 2 more. It came in a packet, 2 in 1 for free! In Spain it was 20 euros for 1. That makes a big difference financially. And it is written in English so no more google translate for us!
Flight from Santiago de Compostela to Stansted was the first flight for us since our son got diagnosed with his allergy. Since they serve peanuts/nuts on board, it is a serious fear and worry for those who live with anaphylactic allergy. It is really scary to think about administration of EpiPen at 36,000ft high up in the air. Actually till my son got it, I didn't know that EpiPen is not cure, administration of it may only help for 15 minutes and reaction could come back(heavier and worse). So if someone had to use EpiPen on the flight, they have to divert and have emergency landing somewhere to get the person ambulance and sent to ER there. Many airlines nowadays started to stop serving nuts on board but I honestly don't understand why they just can't ban nuts. People can surely wait to eat nuts till they land??
So we took Ryan Air. We informed the crew and they made announcement to ask people not to eat peanuts/nuts including home-made food both in English and Spanish. And they did in a bit casual way (in a good way) so people paid more attention to what he was saying. I liked that. Also we got doctor's letter with his 2 EpiPens just in case we have a problem at security check but everything was fine. We wiped down everything everywhere we will touch, coverd our son's seat with towel.
I'm glad our first flight experience was smooth and peaceful, and it was only 2 hours flight. I am still terrified about 12 hours long haul flight to visit my home Japan. Fortunately British Airways that we probably take when we go to Japan will start to ban peanuts/nuts if someone with severe allergy on board. That is great.
So, our son has been diagnosed with severe peanut allergy, oh he is also allergic to kiwifruits by the way. Now everything we buy, we read labels. We obviously avoid food that contain peanuts and kiwi as ingredients but also we have to avoid things with labels saying "may contain trace of peanuts/nuts". Avoiding actual peanuts/kiwifruits is not so scary. Avoiding cross contamination is. I believe "may contain" label is not mandatory in the UK? So if the label doesn't say anything, we have to phone up the company and make sure there is no trace of peanuts/nuts/kiwi. There are very useful amazing websites and blogs about the list of food brands that have allergen free products. And since we have just moved here, we will just stick to brands we know that they are safe.
Some companies really take it seriously. And it is nice to see that. I love finding brands who put allergen lists clearly on their websites. Anyway, weetabix, white bread of KINGSMILL, Hovis, JACOBs crackers are safe! And supermarkets, they label stuff quite well too. That is good to know.
After 6 months of Lugo life, we moved to the UK. It's been crazy. February was crazy month. We had no idea that we would be moving to the UK then. Anyway, our son seems happy. Oh before moving to the UK, our son was diagnosed with severe peanut allergy. I should write about that first!
Well, he had peanut before without any problem, or symptoms that reminded me allergy. So my husband gave him roasted peanuts and he said that it was spicy. Nothing else happened at that point then had a bath, went to bed. 40 minutes later, he started to cough, then vomit, more cough, and sounded like his throat was getting tighter. And he cried and scratching his tongue(probably he had tingly pain). Sneezing, started to scratch himself all over his body and getting hive...... Right, this is the time we call ambulance.
Calling ambulance, we couldn't do it well. We needed our friend's help. I denied even to think about if we couldn't get through to the friend that night. I felt useless and scared.
That was his first time of allergic reaction.
I started to wonder, what did I do, what did I not do during pregnancy, breast feeding, his solid food, etc. What I did or I didn't do caused it??
How are we going to cope with this? What happen when he starts his school? What if he got bullied and they poison his food with peanuts? What if he kisses a girl who ate peanut butter? Can he ever take 12 hours flight to go back to Japan? Can he ever eat out at Indian restaurant? So many questions with worries occur in my mind.
Then I started to read blogs, articles written by or about parents of kids who have severe food allergy, and voices of young people grew up with their allergy. And I learned that all those questions are natural to have in mind when you find out about allergy. However I have to learn how to cope with it, and study, know more about it, teach my son.
Having a life-threatening allergy is life changing. I had no idea. This changed my way of thinking about life completely.